Pregnancy is a beautiful time in a woman’s life, however the growing baby can put a strain on the mother’s changing body. This can result in a lot of minor disorders of pregnancy which can be quite uncomfortable and debilitating.
Reflexology is a wonderful therapy to have during this time and can make a real difference to the physical and mental health of the mother.
Some people think it may do harm and ‘start’ labour or damage the foetus. This however is a myth. The general guidelines are that it is perfectly safe after the first twelve weeks. (Unless otherwise stated by your Doctor) A reflexologist trained in maternity methods will devise a safe treatment plan for the different stages of pregnancy.
Any disorders will be taken into account and safely treated. There should be no pain felt at any stage. Mild discomfort can sometimes be felt where there is an energy imbalance. This will pass once the area is brought back into balance. This can sometimes take a numbers of treatments depending on how long the problem has existed.
Contraindications to reflexology during preganancy:
- Threatened miscarriage
- History of blood clotting
- Unstable diabetes
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Placenta praevia
- Placental separation
A full consultation is done at the start to rule out any of the above and get an overall picture of the health of the mother.
Reflexology is recommended by the National Maternity Hospital Holles St. Dublin.
Benefits of reflexology in Pregnacy
- Reduced morning sickness, all day sickness and vomiting which persists after the first three months.
- Prepares the body for labour by balancing the body systems, especially the endocrine system which governs the labour process.
- Helps relieve heartburn, indigestion,migraines,headaches,constipation and haemorrhoids.
- Low back pain and labour sciatica can be greatly reduced with regular treatments.
- Energy levels are higher and sleep is deeper and more refreshing.
- The length of labour and pain levels can be much less in mothers who have regular reflexology.
- Babies are born less prone to colic, suckle better and are usually very calm and sleep well.
- Carpel Tunnel Syndrome and Odema can be greatly relieved.
A post natal session of reflexology is excellent to help balance the hormones and give yourself a much needed hour of relaxation. Also very helpful for any lactation problems .
Irish made organic balm with essential oils of mandarin used.